[#1] Basic Objects Inspired by Gary Hustwit's "Objectified"


Living Room Scene

For my first objects designed in Rhino 7 I have put together a simple living room with two couches, a coffee table, a record player, and a flip phone. The record player and flip phone objects were inspired by designs showcased in Gary Hustwit's "Objectified" documentary. The couches and coffee table were added for more practice in Rhino 7 and to fill out the scene.

Record Player

The record player was the first object I created during the in-class demo and work time. I gave it simplified and modernised features using a variety of solid shapes. I experimented with boolean joining and subtracting multiple objects to cut a bevel into the upper right screen and to cut a donut-shaped needle rest near the turntable. I was able to rotate a cone to create a phonograph-like, conical speaker.


Flip Phone

After watching Objectified, I created a small, faceted flip phone. The object is inspired by Naoto Fukasawa's flip phone design (at 53:05). His design was inspired by potato peeling and the feeling of the faceted surface in the hand. I experimented with more rotating of shapes and subtraction to carve away and create facets. I also cut in a small screen on the outside. I tried my best to keep it at an appropriate proportion to the other objects in the scene. 

Other views of flip phone

The couches and coffee table were created by joining shapes. The second couch is a duplicate of the first one that has been rotated around the coffee table.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[#7] Unrolling 3D Forms for Papercraft

[#8] Sketch Prototyping

[#4] 2D Drawing & Extruding: The Rings