[#4] 2D Drawing & Extruding: The Rings

 

Extruded and rendered designs in purple frosted glass

This week's task was to design some rings in 2D then extrude them to create 3D versions. To see the results of my design, I sent in one ring design to be used with the laser cutter.

I ended up making 11 ring designs. Only 9 more plus some fire from Mordor and I would have enough to help bring Sauron to power. 

2D line designs

I tried to make a variety of shapes and designs to explore the 2D design tools and become familiar with them. Most of the designs were created to fit my ring size, the only one that isn't is the one in the top right which was done to a larger ring size. I used a lot of splitting, trimming, and reflecting to combine the various lines and shapes into designs that could be extruded. 

Non-rendered, mesh, and shaded view of ring designs.

I applied the extrude function to all of the 2D ring designs. All were extruded to 3mm which is the approximate thickness of the acrylic/plastic that they could be cut from. I kept myself organised through layer management and splitting out the 2D design from the 3D extrusions. This was helpful when deciding which ring design I wanted to send in to get cut out.  


The design I chose to send in to get laser cut was this bomb ring. I exported it to .DXF format which only contains the 2D lines, as is required for the laser cutter. It was a tough choice but I liked the off-centre balance of the bomb against the thin band of the ring. I am really looking forward to seeing the laser cut result!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[#7] Unrolling 3D Forms for Papercraft

[#8] Sketch Prototyping