[#10] Final Revisions & Preparing to Assemble!


We are in the final stretch of our object design, revising details and preparing to assemble the finished piece. I spent this week making some minor changes to the design for better functionality and planning how I will cut and assemble cleanly.

First, I modified the ball catch at the front to allow for a larger hole that the average person can grab the tiny pinballs from. I had to lower the opening hole to enlarge it and ensure that the hole didn't expose the inner drop ramps behind. This seems to work better and I have left room in case I need to further expand the hole during assembly. The pull knob had to be removed as well since it was too small to assemble. I will be replacing it with a button instead.

Updated Ball Catch Assembly

I also simplified the round bumper design to remove the bump on the top which I found too difficult to assemble at the small scale. They now have a flatter top. This should help make assembling so many of them easier and result in a cleaner look.
Updated Bumpers

Responding to feedback last class and to better align with a real pinball machine, I have increased the height of the legs. The older legs are shown in white against the longer dark legs.
Lengthened Legs

As you may have noticed in the images above, I moved on to planning the colours of the piece and added a 2D design to the upper back box. I coloured the different pieces similar to the colours of the paper I intend to use. 
I titled the pinball machine "Poison Apple," inspired by the dark purple and green colour scheme I went with. In my experience with pinball machines, you can make the theme pretty much anything, with pop culture such as movies and comics being the most popular.
I am hoping to use the laser cutter to cut the back box design pieces and attaching them with a bit of offset from the back box so that they stick out and have a slightly more 3D look.

Back Box Design

A considerable amount of time this week was also spent planning and drawing the tabs for each piece, particularly the more complicated surface objects like bumpers, paddles, and raised obstacles. The round shapes are the most complicated, needing a series of triangle tabs in order to facilitate the curves, allowing the surfaces to secure to each other. Using the laser cutter for these bumper and back box design pieces (at the very least) should save me a ton of time in the end and result in a cleaner look than cutting by hand. I have split out the outlines into pages based on their colours so that I don't miss anything while printing and/or laser cutting.
Triangular Tabs on a Round Bumper Top
Page for Laser Cutter



Even if I have to cut everything manually, I am confident my design will come together nicely. I look forward to the end result.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[#7] Unrolling 3D Forms for Papercraft

[#8] Sketch Prototyping

[#4] 2D Drawing & Extruding: The Rings